Who We Are
History of Mt. Elon
Mt. Elon is located on the outskirts of Lydia, S.C., and immediately on the banks of Sparrow Swamp, was organized on the second Sunday in June, 1831.
The name Mt. Elon came from the large number of oak trees in this location. Elon is the Hebrew word for “oak”, thus Mt. Elon is the mountain of strength.
The highest recorded membership was in 1951 with 366 members and again in 1957 with 366 members. Highest recorded Sunday school attendance occurred Sunday October 14, 1956 with 225 people in attendance.
The original church building was determined to be inadequate in size and a new building began in 1858. By 1860 this building was being used for worship but was not completed until 1870. In April 1911, the first service was held in the present sanctuary, with an educational building completed in 1967.
Mt. Elon Baptist Church is traditionally a warm and caring fellowship of believers. Our members have supported the Southern Baptist convention by Contributions of 11% of undesignated funds to the cooperative program as well as contributing to the support of the Welsh Neck Association.